Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Running against the wind

Well, I have been out of touch for almost two weeks. Much has happened. Most importantly, blog-wise, I started to run again. It all began last Saturday in Portland, Oregon--back where my running began when I was a teenager. My first run I left from the hotel room, turned on my Nano, and Bob Seger's "Running Against the Wind" was playing. It was too perfect. I ran past Lincoln High School, up the hill to Washington Park. I could not have felt better about it. The weekend itself was nice too. Revisited my old Mt. Tabor neighborhood, visited with friends, attended a web-series screening, ate good food, and even paid a visit to Darcelle's. The next day I ran again. It was just as lovely. It was difficult to come back to Bend. I wanted to stay in the "other place" that was not home. However, after taking a rest day and reorienting my self with reality, I have completed two more runs. First, I ran out on the Larkspur Trail which is probably my favorite (so far) that I can just go to from my front door. The next run was just a simple out and back over by Hollinshead, and it was a blue sky, setting sun and cool, crisp February air. So, it's not so bad being home after all. Running has been good for me, even though I am only on day 7. I am forgiving myself for being older and broken. I am taking everything one day at a time, constantly evaluating for soreness, twinges, pushing too hard. That is why my running is such an apt metaphor for my life. I want to enjoy it, push through the pain if I can, without permanent injury.

Other parts of life are springing anew. My music career(ha!) is taking some turns. I am hoping to purchase a keyboard and perhaps leave the guitar playing to the pros. Although I was rather proud of myself for adapting an Alison Krauss song earlier this week. I am going to try my hand at song writing again. I haven't been able to accomplish much reading or other pursuits. My classes have been busy, and other responsibilities take my time. Until next time, Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment