Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Shoes

I have been wearing the same make and model of running shoes for two or three years. Probably more like three, since I am two years out from my injury. I went and tried on a new brand, brought them home, went through my running preparation ritual (clothes on, clean feet, glide, socks & shoes, music, headband, watch, cough drop). I started walking around the house, and they just did not feel right. I took back the pretty purple shoes. I exchanged them for the ol' white/silver/blue. They are not that pretty, but they hug my feet just the right way. I know they work. The grass is always greener, the other shoes are prettier. But if you run with the pretty shoes and get hurt, then you can't run at all. Why did I even try the pretty shoes? They felt a little different, I thought it was a good kind of different. Then she said,"They're very popular; one of our best-selling shoes." Maybe I just thought I should join the crowd.

You see what I am getting at here, right?

I have not decided whether to run or not today. I just finished a 3x3, and am tempted to just slip in a mile or two with these new shoes. More for the therapeutic value than anything else. My head hurts, and I have had some frustrating experiences the last day or so, that require some thought. I feel a 24-hour tumor coming on...

My other struggle is my fear of repeating mistakes. I am looking down the barrel of it right now. Actually, the barrel is not the right metaphor. It is more of a pathfinding situation. One thing that is clear, is that I must slow down and broaden my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment